Saturday 14 September 2013

September Book Review: Mark Montano's 'Big Ass Book of Bling'



This was the very first craft eBook I downloaded for when I was visiting my sister in Charlotte last May, and quickly became the first of many! 

I got hooked to Mark Montano’s work when I received his Big Ass Book of Crafts for my birthday two years ago. Featuring over 50 projects-at least!-the layout of his books are so vibrant yet simple, not to mention the instructions easy to follow. The book is divided into concise sections, based on certain materials or techniques and the various projects they can be used for, such as wood work or glass fusing, so if you decide to invest in those materials you’re sure to get several projects worth out of them. However, some of the methods for these crafts do intimidate me slightly, mainly because I’m scared to make a mess at my parents’ place! But one thing for sure, this particular book triggered my interest in mould making.

My personal style is very versatile and subtle at the moment, and I’d would like my looks to be more quirky and show my creativity. Accessories may just be the ticket. So while I’m sure to be using some of the tips from this book, the projects I intend to make are focused on being personal yet durable, especially if I’ll be investing time and money into their production. We all go through phases of hobbies, crafting being a particular weakness of mine, and nothing is worse than materials you were desperate to buy at the time that are now covered in dust at the bottom of some drawer somewhere. 

On that note, these are some of the pieces I’ve book marked; The I Ain’t Lion and Linked Bead necklaces seem really easy and fun to make, though for the first I’m considering either the small mouse or frog figurines I own. 



Other projects such as the Ice Resin and Lace earrings and the Love Handcuffs bracelet have given me some great ideas for Christmas gifts. 

End thoughts; the range and number of projects the title offers makes it a must for any crafters'


bookshelf.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment