Thursday 5 September 2013

Weight Loss Booklet



Once again, I find myself house sitting and being home alone. However, I’ve got a real DIY itch today. Reasons for this particular project are three fold; 1) The Notting Hill Carnival is happening this weekend by my neighborhood, I’m house bound anyway 2) It’s pouring rain outside and 3) I need a notebook anyway.


Frustrated with how my constant exercise regime seems to have produced little results in achieving my target weight loss, I realize I need to take a new approach. My usual workout is sorta boring these days, and I probably could keep a little more of an eye on what I eat. A friend recently recommended keeping a journal that marks your progress, from how I worked out that day to what I ate and what my current weight is. But instead of going around the corner to the stationary store and buying a new notebook, I thought why not make it really personal and homemade. That way, I’d truly be diligent in keeping it up to date!
Despite this day and age of touch screens and fast typing, I think millions would agree with me that there’s something very refreshing about putting pen to paper, whether it’s writing in a diary or even making a note. Notebooks can in usual in so many ways, and not just for your grocery list. For you creative types out there, ever gotten an amazing idea for a project while on the move? With this little baby in your bag, you can jot that idea down before it vanishes forever. Also in the fashion industry everyone carries notebooks, taking notes at shows, schedules etc. I myself keep a Stylist Little Black Book with all the contacts I’ve collected in the industry. Any of these would be a great way to use this project!

YOU WILL NEED:
Sheets of Plain Paper
Colored Card Paper
Masking Tape
Glue
Needle and Thread
Ruler and Pencil
Old Magazine clippings

STEP 1:

Cut out two equal sized pieces of the colored card the size you wish your book to be. These will be the front and back cover of the book. 



Next, start sticking your various magazine clippings and arrange them, stick them down (preferably overlapping each other) in an arrangement of your choice. For my ‘Diet’ booklet, I chose clippings which all had a healthy exercise theme to them, so you can them yours anyway you wish.











When both card pieces are covered to satisfaction, seal the clippings onto the cover using strips of masking tape. The ends of the tape should be tucked a good length, an 1’’ each end, on the inside of the cover (don’t worry, they’ll be concealed later!). Now your book is covered.


STEP 2:

Now the pages. Fold several pieces of your page paper (I chose lined paper) then measure out your pages. I made mine slightly smaller than the cover panels. Inside the folds hand stitch about three to four sheets of paper together using a simple hand stitch. Using the prit stick, glue each side of the small booklets together from their outside pages to make 1 large booklet. Finally glue the outside of the pages to the inside of the book cover. 



The contents are now up to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment