Sunday 28 October 2012

All Things Dark and Beautiful Continued



From maroons, blacks and dark purple tones, with some details that varied from brocade to subtle, following this theme actually provided a lot of looks for the upcoming party season! I was especially delighted with the special today in the Sunday Times Style magazine on goth make up, the drama it instantly achieves and how it’s departed from its past reputation of being the uniform of an angsty teenager to seductive and edgy. Again I am so glad that last year while working at the Excel centre for Britain’s Next Top Model, finally facing facts that I will never be able to pull off that gorgeous Marilyn look with red lipstick, I invested in dark purple gloss and lip liner. Another fact I love about this vamp make up rave is the fact that it loves pale, flawless skin. I’ve always been kinda pasty, and to this day can’t apply blush to save my life, and am glad that my complexion is considered a trend. Coupled with blood red and burgundy nails, I’ve got the make up part of this theme covered.


When searching for all things dark and beautiful in my closet, one of the first to come out was my beloved ‘Alice’ dress-named for its ‘babydoll’ feel with the buttons, umpire waist and bishop sleeves with wide wrist bands. I love accompanying it with vibrant tights, such as these pink or burgundy toned tights, though a favorite is a gold floral lace pair. With a simple black pearl, I always feel like a gorgeous goth girl right out of a Tim Burton film!


My next look was aimed towards the bar scene, with another little black dress, only this one tight and with short sleeves. This red velvet tailored blazer is a favorite piece for the season, and because it gives just that burst of color I broke my crazy tights verdict and opted for grey, or even black lace stockings. Then, for a more club atmosphere I put together a selection of various silver chains and pieces. One of these days I really wanna get a cool black clutch, but until there this little black satin purse will have to do.


To make a brief departure from the hype for the party season, this outfit is slightly more casual, probably could be pulled off as a day to night look. I don’t usually wear single color pieces top and bottom, like this turtle neck top and black leggings but when paired with the velvet jacket becomes less Catwomanish.  With a statement necklace and chunky Dior chain bracelet, I see me going to drinks after work or even a movie in this look easily.


This look features my treasured Vamp top, a satin dark purple blouse with puffed sleeves that had me teased for looking like Maleficent (not that I’m complaining-BEST DISNEY VILLAIN EVER), but is now considered gorgeous. I always feel so sharp in it, and have worn it to events from the recent Hollywood Costumes event at the V&A. Usually paired with black leggings, sometimes I add a thick banded leather obi-style belt with it, that creates more diversity with the combination of textures. 


This neck piece I bought several years ago from a stall on Portobello had to make an appearance, since it always offers an allure of Victorian prudence and posture with it’s high neck line and ruffles, guaranteeing character to any basic black sweater. However I think I prefer how I used to style it, on top of a black shawl wrapped around my shoulders, paired with jeans to give it a bohemian look. The black jet stone and black roses earrings would also go with the season’s brocade trend brilliantly.
Honoring Halloween, appropriate for a number of occasions and even a mixture of sassy and dramatic, I hit the nail right on the head this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment