Thursday 18 September 2014

September Book Review: ‘In This House; a Collection of Altered Art Imagery and Collage Techniques’ by Angela Cartwright and Sarah Fishburn



I just got back from a massive cross country trip around the States for my friend Kelley’s wedding, attending her bachelorette 2 weeks before the day, then spending the time between visiting relatives. I spent a lot of time sitting on planes, waiting in airports, being shuffled about...other than my usual on-the-go knitting projects, I started wondering about other fun travel crafts. This book gave me an idea for a ‘Travel Collage’ book project, carrying a book every day adding things to remind me of my trip-tickets, pamphlets, magazine clippings (I went through a LOT of magazines on this trip!) What I’m finding so alluring about collage is how it can continue to grow and morph as you keep adding to it.
This book is a collaboration of various artists coming together to make accordian style booklets based on the theme of ‘Home’. How did they define ‘Home’? A place for rest and relaxation, a idea of the coming together of loved ones...they each had the same template of a house outline to work from, embellishing the pages with photos, fabrics, paint, the possibilities were endless. Each chapter is dedicated to an in depth look at each collage house, and the artist’s insights into it’s design. Each house had it’s own address, making it seem all the more real somehow. One house was dedicated to an artist’s late sister, in a dreamlike atmosphere where they’re reunited. 
In general, a great inspiration for the endless possibilities of collage crafting. And it makes me want to have a look on the sequel, ‘In This Garden’-if this is what artists came up with for houses, just think of what they’ll make of a gorgeous setting like one’s garden! Beautiful layout and visuals, and in depth tutorials on the artist’s techniques, this title is a must for all collage crafters out there to feast their creativity on!

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment