Sunday 14 December 2014

December Book Review: The Great Christmas Knit Off by Alexandra Brown



OK, so I’ve officially run out of craft books to review for the time being. However, as a fan of books revolving around crafting, I’ve decided to continue these monthly posts and write about them instead. And I’ll be starting with a title that I loved so much, when reading it on the Tube I missed my stop!
‘The Great Christmas Knit Off’ is one of those books I categorize as part of the ‘Changing Life through Creative Work’ genre, or sometimes ‘Club’ books when it’s focused on a group of characters being brought together through the love of a hobby craft. 
In this title, the protagonist, Sybil or ‘Sybs’, still heart broken months after being left at the altar and experiencing burn out in her finance job, when paying a close friend a visit in a tiny village of Tiddendale in the English countryside finds her life changed. It’s lovely to read about that picturesque Christmas scene we all imagine in the UK, the image of snow covered cottages and yummy pub lunches (I laughed when Sybs exclaims ‘oh my god, I’ve stepped onto the set of Frozen!). And just as Sybs is saved by the warm kindness of the people of the town, from Leo the fabulous gay B&B owner to Ben the gorgeous local GP, she in turn gives back. In hopes of living her life long dream of owning her own knitting business, she aids struggling pensioner Hettie by breathing new life into her beloved House of Haberdashery. When Sybs’ Christmas Jumper designs become particularly popular, she launches Operation Great Christmas Knit Off, bringing the entire village together to produce a massive sweater order to save Hettie’s livelihood. 
As I said, it’s a wonderful read for the holidays, and made my fingers itch to get a hold of some chicks and yarn, and even comes with a knitting pattern! I’ve begun reading Ms. Brown’s previous series based on a department store, but am particularly looking forward to hearing more from Tiddendale. Happy Holiday reading!

Final Score: 5/5 (good for it’s festive feeling, but also well balanced with a truly lovable protagonist)

No comments:

Post a Comment