Wednesday 17 December 2014

Franken-Hoot Plushies


I got the idea for this project as a means of using up scraps from my fabric staff over the summer. Finding a pattern on Pinterest and adapting it, I loved the ideas of mish-mashing remnants of fabric together (thus the Frankenstein concept) to make a one-of-a-kind plushie. Owls are adorable, from their pet appeal from the Harry Potter franchise, to their quirky large eyes making them different from other birds, and even their symbolism for Wisdom. Working with the bird theme for our Christmas table this year, I’ve made a felt version for this project.


Here’s a template for the pattern I adjusted from pinterest. You can make them as large or small as you like! I added the wings and little pouch on the tummy for this particular version to paste the names onto, but you can do as you wish with them.

Felt is a lovely fabric to work with, since you don’t need to hem it! Unlike my original ‘Frankenstein’ concept though, I kept it to the chosen color scheme, golds and silver, blues, purples, and pinks. The pieces were put together in a combination of machine and hand stitching, with a little stuffing for a 3D effect. 

I’ve had a great time putting this flock together, and can’t wait to see them on the table Christmas Day. But if I have any fabric left over I’d like to make some true to my original design, complete with more colors and even eyes in different colors.

Materials:
Owl plushie pattern
Felt fabrics in various colors
Needle
Scissors
Thread
Sewing Machine (optional)
Toy stuffing
Buttons
For Table settings, print out or hand written paper slips with names




No comments:

Post a Comment