Thursday 10 November 2011

Painting the Roses Red

On the first day of my styling course, we were given the challenge to customize a simple white tank top. Our teachers produced a massive box containing materials from a stuffed toy dog to buttons to use. Digging through, I pulled out pieces with amazing color tones; olive green ribbons, gold, rusty pink, some burgundy netting, some gold tassels and a maroon scarf.
The tassels gave me the idea of changing the structure of the shirt, to flare it out to make a ‘genie’ effect with the tassels. 
Since taking my up-cycling course at Central St. Martin’s, I’ve been really into making pieces by cutting up a variety fabrics and adding them together, to make a ‘harlequin’ pattern. So I took half the white tank top away, and replaced that side of the shirt with the maroon scarf. The white side I covered with scrunched up pieces of netting in rose shapes (seriously, these took me AGES-I was making roses in my sleep). Because of these, I dubbed the project the ‘Painting the Roses Red’ top.
I stitched the ribbons in a vine-like pattern along the maroon side, intwining the pieces over the shoulder into a braid.





The effect was exactly what I was hoping for-the class was literally stunned when I showed it to them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment