Wednesday 16 July 2014

July Book Review: 'The Dream Dollhouse: Do-It-Yourself Book' by Julie Shelton



You know that quote from Forest Gump ‘‘sometimes there just ain’t enough rocks’’. For me it’s starting to feel like ‘‘sometimes there just ain’t enough craft books.’’ Desperate for new material to read on a flight, grasping at straws I searched on my kindle for ‘doll house craft books’...and struck absolute gold with this title! And bonus, it was up to borrow on Amazon Prime!!!
There are bloggers and youtube channels on doll crafts, but no published works! The fact that someone took the time to write their ideas down is wonderful.
You can tell Shelton is a true Barbie fan, most the projects done in fuchsia on 1:6 scale. She set out to write her book where the projects were ‘easy and adorable’, that honored the spirit of creating small worlds for ‘tiny people’. 


Shelton and blogger My Froggy Stuff have something in common; The gift of seeing in ordinary objects that can be transformed-for one, crayons being transformed into gorgeous candles! True, she did tend to lean towards picture frames in most of her projects (although her Beatrice Bedhead is stunning! I’m desperately seeking a wired picture frame for this project.) I wouldn’t have minded seeing a little more reinvention in found objects.
I wouldn’t have minded if some of her work wasn’t so geared towards the Barbie collector with the pink themes in the layout. However, she had some amazing ideas for the basics that have given me ideas for things to look out for in the hardware store next time I’m there. So for the budding dollhouse maker, this is a definite must for your bookshelf.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment