Sunday 26 February 2012

Alice Re-Vamped Band

Recently my favorite ballet of all time is returning to Covent Garden next month-already planning to wait at 6am for tickets. This production of my muse Alice in Wonderland is fantastic-the choreography stunning, and the visuals overall amazing. But what struck me about this particular Alice is the title role’s costume choices. Like Tim Burton’s interpretation, this Alice is older-interested in boys, the eldest of three daughters etc. Second, the fact that she’s put in a lilac frock, unlike the traditional blue-I always categorize the cast as having their own distinctive colors (Mad Hatter Purple, Queen of Hearts Red), so I’m intrigued by this choice. And finally, her hair-an almost 30’s style brunette paige boy cut. It’s odd how everyone always visualizes Alice as a blonde, even though the original Alice Liddel herself had black hair. Either way, another effect had adds to the avante garde of this production. 
Alice’s hair inspired this project-another idea curtesy of Mark Montano. The ballet version stays true to one element of Alice’s look-the all popular ‘Alice’ band. 
Since I got my own paige boy bob last summer, a style I wonder how I lived without all these years, I’ve like playing around with accessories. This project I thought appropriate considering how the summer is coming, and the usual wedding season is coming, thus bringing in the unique hair piece rage. I doubt I’ll ever set foot in Ascot as anything other than the waiting staff, but nice to know I’d be prepared should the day come!
I dug through my ribbon stash, and found some black net trim and greyish silvery ribbons. Laying them on top of one another, I preferred this effect to that in the book with the black toole. I cut three sections of each different trim into 7’’ lengths, and folding them each tacked them together into a rosette shape. 




I debated for a while about the sequin centre piece from my ‘bag-o-gems’, but finally went to a black piece-not so glitzy, but it looked better against the lace effect.




I’m a little nervous about wearing the piece just yet-worried it may make me look like a six year old. But I know accessorize are all about boldness-heck, I may even wear this piece the night I go to the ballet!

No comments:

Post a Comment