Friday 3 February 2012

Hair Comb Brooch

For my birthday, I was given ‘The Big-Ass Book of Crafts 2’ by Mark Montano. This book, written by a quirky crafter, holds a number of projects from jewelry to furniture. For the past three weeks I’ve been pouring over the book over my afternoon mug of Earl Grey, shifting book marks for projects I want to do next, ones I’m considering for gift ideas, ones that just look like fun, etc! 
This afternoon, I gave the ‘Button and Comb Brooch’ a shot. Digging around in the bathroom I found two amber-colored combs, that gave an antiquey feeling to the piece, and decided to replace the button with some rhinestones. 


I changed a few things-instead of the metal base, I got some cardboard and covered it in felt, that I stitched a safety pin into for the badge base. 


I had a heck of a time, breaking up the combs into small fragments-it was a combo of wire-cutters, a hammer, and sheer blonde-brute force! Glad no one saw how far my creativity had driven me.
Once done, laying the pieces around the base, I had a hard time overlapping the pieces with their bulkiness. I added in an extra layer of felt on the inside as extra-padding, so to speak. 


I had a number of color combinations regarding the rhinestone centre-piece, but with so many glue marks on the comb, I had more tiny white jewels to cover them, and so went with a gold and white color scheme.


 The final piece isn’t brilliant-the one of the book looks as thought hair combs are the last thing used in the creation! But I like the bold bling of this brooch, and am planning on putting it on my handbag, or even a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment