Wednesday 22 February 2012

Montano Tie Obi-Belt

I’ve become such a fan of the Mark Montano book, I ordered its prequel this week! Already tempted to get his other on home decor. 
For my second shot in his fabulous projects I made the ‘Tie Obi-belt’. I’d been keen for a while-it looks so simple, and this totally appeals to my upcycling and meshing different pieces together. I had a simple black tie from one of my old catering jobs, but got impatient from donations from the only male in my household (my Dad), so bought a fun tie from Topman-black with white specks. I chose the colors based on the quirkiness yet versatility of the two ties together. 


After working overtime with my current job, my fingers were itching to reconnect with my old friend, the sewing machine. But when she failed to work, I had to resort to hand-stitching the calico base against the section where the ties meet, which gives the belt its ‘obi’ feature. The two stitch lines add to the 'bulkiness' of the piece.



This project is really fun, and I can’t wait to spice up some simple tops with it. I hope to finally get those old ties from my Dad sometime-I wanna try out this project with more exciting textiles and shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment