Sunday 12 February 2012

Catwalk on the Tower

Hey-sorry, my computer was busted this week! However, it lives to program another day, so Second Child blogs on!
Two weeks ago I had another dresser gig, for the Adidas Tailor Made Goldwear show. The show featured the main pieces expected to be worn for the upcoming Olympics this summer-and seeing how my mother, a Golf obsessive, I knew was probably one of their best customers. 



In the afternoon in the Tower Hotel we did several run throughs. I was expecting the show to be kinda dry-I’m not a sports nut. The models were doing mock golf swings on the runway (though I pointed out several times that their drives looked more like baseball swings), dancing to some of my favorite tunes-now every show I have dressed for has played ‘Moves Like Jagger’. Models and dressers mingled and laughed backstage, and the collection had certain buzz.
But what really shocked me about this experience was the fact that when we moved to the real collection of the runway show, we weren’t here....

We were here.
Yep, the narrow walkway on top of Tower Bridge was the catwalk. Our backstage was a quarter of the walk, the audience two slim lines around the wall beyond the curtains. 
I haven’t been that cold since I went to Russia. IT. WAS. FREEZING! We were all huddled backstage, yearning to put all the extra clothes into a pile to curl up into-and the models, man! They had it ever worse, changing in those conditions! The organizer was surprised at how upbeat and lively we were backstage-the truth, we were dancing to the catwalk soundtrack to stay warm.



Fun and wacky in location, this experience was another interesting fact to add to my CV. Not many can say they worked for a runway show right on Peter Pan’s route through the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment