Sunday 13 October 2013

Button Cluster Collection





So I wore my button cluster necklace last night to a dinner, and my friend Valentina loved it. She has amazing taste, from her signature pink plaster heart shaped ring to her strapless Spongebob Squarepants dress! So I was really flattered when she asked if I make earrings. To be honest, I haven’t really considered making any earrings yet. My signature bob haircut has little call for earrings, the reason I stick to bold neck pieces instead for my jewelry crafting. Val none the less requested if I ever made something again to do a little something for her with the leftovers.
On the tube home, I had a moment of inspiration for ways to continue the button cluster theme, but putting them into earrings, and even a cool cocktail ring! I have all the materials, so why not just see?
I drafted three bases out of black sugar paper-a small circle for the ring, ovals for the earrings. The ring was easy, the tiny scale caller for smaller buttons and sequins to still maintain that cluster effect. The earrings, however, I had to put the cluster on both sides of the base since the pieces would hang and be seen from all sides. Also once attached to the earring loops, they became far too heavy. Next time I’ll try a smaller base, and consider less cluster detail. 
So did I waste my time creating those pieces? Heck no! I’ve turned one piece into a keychain, and have the other on reserve for a necklace centre piece. But I did learn that when excited about a new project, I should probably be sure before investing too much time into its creation that it’ll work.  


Project Budget: None-leftovers from previous project!

No comments:

Post a Comment