Tuesday 22 October 2013

Customised Treasure Box



Several years ago for my birthday, my elder sister Marika gave me a small wooden box, a perfect blank slate to design to my heart’s content. For ages it sat among my jewelry collection, awaiting the dawn of it’s redesign. Like most crafters, I was terrified at the idea of wasting the opportunity. The simplest mistake could take this box from beautifully redone to tacky!
Finally, after reading Mark Montano’s Big As Book of Crafts 2, the perfect treatment came to me. With some old magazines pages, spray primer and bronze paint, this box was transformed into a antique like container! From a distance the texture and color has a gorgeous antique detail. I’ve used this box many times for my doll photography, like my Pirates collection. And what was most fun was how easily you can lay out the rolled up tubes of paper in any direction, curving easily around the outline of the container.
Simple with amazing results, this customization technique isn’t just limited to specific containers either. If you’re like me and save every single little boxes you get at Christmas (I have them all sitting in a shoebox at home!) this would be a great method to spruce one up, making it special enough to store your precious treasures in. For more delicate keepsakes like jewelry, I suggest lining the inside of the boxes with felt. Also be sure to shave off the excess edges of the paper tubes-the smallest bit of unrolled paper stick out on the final piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment