Wednesday 9 October 2013

Chunky Pearl and Pins Necklace


A project found in my absolute favorite craft book, Tarina Tarantino’s ‘The Sparkle Factory’, this necklace was been my second attempt at jewelry making. Right away I was struck by the boldness of the shape of the beads, and keen to try some techniques such as making a proper head pin and crimping.


Tarantino’s original necklace, entitled the ‘Techno Tribal Pin Collar’ as the name suggests was a little too wacky for me, with its acid neon beads. But I loved the outline and collaboration of large pearl beads and chain, so I set out to make it in my own vision, with a more vintage tone. So far my personal style has sky rocketed simply from being more adventurous in my accessories. 
Originally I wanted to make this necklace with gold chain and safety pins, but it looks like there aren’t any gold pins in large sizes on the market. Besides, in the end the silver toned chain with the different sized white pearls looked more street style without being too granny-ish. 
I substituted the wire that threads the beadwork and pins together with jewelry making jelly cord. The wire I got couldn’t even fit through the smaller beads. It was great to practice some crimping, but I am petrified of the cord snapping due to the weight of the beads one of these days. Also on the end of the chain, I added Tarantino’s bead detail. This really gives it a very professional touch!


With pride I wore the finished piece to work this week, with burgundy colored jeans and one of my favorite oversized jumpers. The necklace caught everyone’s eyes! I can see this being a brilliant statement piece. Also I’d love to try making another in a more versatile tone, like gold, if I could just find a good supplier that stocks these materials. It was fun to make, and has a funky-feminine feel to it. 

Project Budget: £25 (includes various size beads, chain, cord, safety pins and head pin)


No comments:

Post a Comment