Thursday 31 October 2013

Halloween Town sign


A tradition I’ve started is having a Tim Burton marathon at the start of ever October. And one of my favorite shots from The Nightmare Before Christmas is the close up of the Halloween Town sign, with the pumpkin head scare crow swinging in the wind. This gave me an idea for my annual Halloween Table display-the one part of my house I’m allowed to go nuts with for the holiday season!


I remembered a yarn doll design from one of the American Girl craft books that I made years ago, and decided to resurrect it for this project. It’s very easy; take get a large piece of cardboard about the entire length that you want your doll and wind the yarn around it until. Cut the yarn from one end to detach it from the cardboard, secure the folded centre with a strand of yarn, then about 2 or more inches down tie and knot about strand to make the head. Section off the arms, cutting the extra yarn to a shorter length and tying more yarn around to shape the hands. Then secure the torso, and do the same for the legs. You now have your scarecrow! Dress him as your please-I used some old pieces from my doll projects.
Now download some good pictures off the net of hardwood floors-the more detailing in the wood, the better! Print it, then cut and paste to pieces of cardboard to make the beams of the post. Have a crossbeam for the arms of the scarecrow to hang from, slightly off centre for a real creepy rustic look. 
Now add the direction signs. I chose scary towns in the States, such as Sleepy Hollow and Savannah, but you can do anything, from your home town to Warning signs if you like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment