Sunday 6 October 2013

October Book Review: The Unofficial Harry Potter Party Guide by Jessica Fox


In the spirit of the season of Halloween, I thought this title would be appropriate. However, I should highlight that when I downloaded a sample onto my Kindle, it had been taken from the crafting section of the book. Yes, I should have reread the book’s name, but I grew up in a household of hardcore Potter fans, can you blame me?


Granted, the author offers some amazing tips on how to throw the ultimate Harry Potter themed party. I don’t have kids myself, but I can see these ideas instantly piloting one’s rep as an awesome parent. From making potion drinks to party games, such as using large packing boxes to make a maze for your own Triwizard Tournament to how to have your own sorting ceremony, this book considers every aspect of this experience-and all more simple that you’d think.
The author does have in the beginning a section filled with some sweet items that you’d recognize from the books that would be brilliant to bring to life with any Potter fan. But I guess I was rather hoping for more. After visiting the Warner Bros Studios last year, I never realized all the incredible richness all the props hold! So while this book does give details on how to make a pair of Luna Lovegood’s radish earrings, I could think of projects that would be more appealing, like making your own Owl or Slytherin’s locket-though I’m really tempted to make my own Pygmy Puff! 

Now that I think about it, there’s a book idea here,folks-Potter Crafts, an entire volume on making your own Harry Potter themed items.

The instructions are clear, though I find the budget the author’s gives for each project to be a little underestimated. Also I wondered why, when inspired by book as rich in visual details as Harry Potter, you’d opt to do the photos for this title in black and white? So maybe not a volume that’s vital to a crafter’s library, but a damn good read for ideas for your kids’ birthday party.

Final Score: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment