Saturday 21 December 2013

Alternative Wrapping


Two years ago my idea of gift presentation was changed forever after reading an article on alternative gift wrapping in the Sunday Times Style magazine. I know we all love our beautiful packages tied up with strings, but honestly to think that we spend tons on t I know, I geek out a lot about going green, but seriously, in the smallest ways anything can make a difference. Therefor I’m doing a whole post on magazine page gift wrapping.
Last Christmas I wrapped all my gifts in perfume and watch ads, topped with ribbons in complimenting tones to the color scheme of the page. It was fun, refreshing, and didn’t cost a penny. 


This year I wanted to have a more unified theme to my gifts-you know, how someone uses the same wrapping paper so you know it’s from them! At first I thought of using festive ads, saving pages like the Jo Malone christmas ad and Cartier (that leopard cub is adorable!!) But when the How To Spend It seasonal editorial spread came out, it was perfect. The red and black color scheme was a refreshing contrast to the festive shades, and the pages were large enough in size and quantity. Because there weren’t enough pages to wrap all my presents, I divided them into sections for my family and friends, identified by which pages I used.


Now, magazine pages can be thin, and tear easily on sharp edged gifts in boxes and so on, so I recommend holding onto some sheets of tissue paper (I save all the ones from shopping) to wrap the gift in first as a precaution. However the covers of magazines are printed are sturdier paper and way more durable.


Second, I recommend measuring your gifts to their allocated pages first (larger gifts to double page spreads etc.) to avoid panic when some gifts are left bare after your paper stash is gone.
Finally give your gift it a decorative flare at the end with a complimenting colored bow that compliments a detail on the page (the color of the model’s lipstick etc), for a more artistic and even professional touch. 
I guarantee that your efforts to greenify your Christmas will be noted and much praised compared to the store-wrapped corporate clones under the tree. 





No comments:

Post a Comment