Sunday 22 December 2013

Gingerbread House Building


A long standing tradition in my household for the holiday season, passed down from my grandfather, who was a baker, to my Dad is Gingerbread houses, or Peppakakor as we say in Swedish. And not those candy covered creations that, though adorable, never have the same authenticity to them. We create not just a gingerbread structure, but a whole display with figurines, trees and cotton wool for snow.
I recall many Christmases where Dad spent hours drafting and baking his model, which turned out to be an exact replica of our home in Sweden! As a growing crafter, Dad eventually passed the mantle to me. At first my creations were simple-a barn for a nativity scene etc. But then I got the buzz and since then am determined every year to produce something original and exciting, like my popular Polar Express and ship. Drawing on my theatrical background I want a structure that creates an entire winter wonderland scene around. Check out my gingerbread portfolio!


This year, determined to go that extra mile and make something really new, I’ve decided to play with levels and height, shaping a more vertical landscape. I considered castles and two famous ones came to mind; first, the castle of the Taunting Frenchmen in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Hogwarts. 
The spacing, the levels, the variation in landscape...yep, one of my best!



No comments:

Post a Comment