Wednesday 18 December 2013

December Book Review: Tattered Layered and Stitched; A Fabric Art Workshop by Ruth Rae



This book is a gem for anyone who, like me, just can’t seem to throw out even the smallest remnant of fabric in hopes of it contributing to something amazing. Here Rae really celebrates the possibility of texture that fabric offers in collage art. This title I wished to review for the Christmas season in particular because it’s triggered several different crafting projects for the holiday season, from Tree ornaments to place settings.
I had a motto for a while as a craft-add, don’t subtract. The more different materials you pack on and manage to bend together on one blank slate, the better! It was the reason one summer I got really into making these mixed media collages, consisting of a watercolor character I’d painted, on a colored paper base and embellished with different things from magazine clippings to nail varnish strokes. Here, Rae has a similar approach to fabric crafting, but not merely for art, like her beautiful Wall Tree Art, but also ideas for gifts. Some projects are easier, like her scraps card, while others like her Ancestry album call for more time and call.
Her biggest strength is in the treatment of the fabric. For one, I loved her technique of machine stitching uneven stitches in non-matching thread onto the fabric. It’s got a real homemade quality to it, but in this case, it works! However I’m nervous about attempting her technique of sewing paper and fabric together-I’m terrified of screwing up my beloved machine. 
None the less, I recommend this title if you nuts about fabric and upcycling and wanna make something authentic and cool to touch, and are willing to go that extra mile to expand your creative horizons, go for it! For example, I’m thinking of making an alt-fabric scrap book for my sister’s wedding next summer with some of Rae’s suggestions. And, if I have any time, will be stitching up some cool ornaments to hang on my tree next week. 

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment