Thursday 26 January 2012

Catwalk Without a Collection


Last week when I volunteered at the current Fashion in Motion event at the V&A, I was expecting to assist the models before the shows, to be checking what they’d be wearing, pressing and mending where needed, that kinda thing. So you can imagine my surprise when I was told that, even with only five models, that dressers wouldn’t be necessary.
The entire event surprised me. First, when I heard they were using older models, considering how models age like dogs, I thought 28, 30. I never expected the runway to be filled with women well into their fifties. At first I was a little startled by their skinny figures, but later I learned one silver-haired beauty once graced the cover of Vogue a couple of years ago!





And finally, the biggest shock-when models strode along the catwalk, clad only in their own simple leotards. Only in the final quarter of the run did they stride out in black sheer fabrics, which the designers labeled ‘shadow clothes’. Indeed, that was the intent of the show-the emphasis a models’ job, displaying clothes but without an actual collection. But I was inspired by the sheer blackness of the fabric, its texture, and how from the audience it seemed to have very little physicality. I think I’ll play around with that concept if I’ve ever given another chance at styling.

No comments:

Post a Comment